Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Thomas and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week

We've finally received our visit from "child's first illness". I guess I should be happy that it took almost 10 months to arrive, but who is ever happy about being sick?
Poor little man was so sick of being attacked with a tissue and/or medicine that he eventually became wary of a hand coming in his direction. The picture is how he fell asleep after lunging to get away from me to avoid a swipe of the nose. He just fell onto the pillow and cried (and 30 seconds later, fell asleep). This is extremely unusual for him in that if he's crying, he's always also reaching for me. I don't think he's ever cried and been happy to be away from me at the same time before.
I'd say this was easily one of the hardest weeks of my life. And he really wasn't even all that sick. Hats off the mamas in our playgroup who went through Rotavirus. Luckily if/when he gets that sick, I can (and WILL) call in reinforcements - GiGi.
I don't know what he had (and neither did the doctor), but I'm guessing it was just a virus of some kind. He had a really bad runny nose, a fever for several days and then a cough. The hard part was sleeping. The first two days he just wanted to be held non-stop. He would just lay his head on your shoulder and whimper. Talk about heart-wrenching! But those days were actually easier than the rest of the week because once he felt well enough to play (a little), he wanted to get down all day, but then everything that happened was HORRIBLE. He was standing and fell on his bottom - EARTH SHATTERING. He bonks himself in the head with a book - THE HORROR! He wanted to play but just couldn't cope with anything. By Thursday (started previous Friday night) I was on the verge of a breakdown. Of course, like many unpleasant things, my memory of last week is already starting to grow fuzzy. Honestly, sometimes I'm not sure how we'd get through this parenting adventure if that weren't the case.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: